Damon Albarn Speaks Out About EU Referendum Result | Music News

Conversations About Her

Damon Albarn Speaks Out About EU Referendum Result | Music News

British Damon Albarn, lead vocalist for the band Blur, performs at the Vive Latino music festival in Mexico City, Saturday, March 16, 2013. The 14th edition of the three-day music festival was inaugurated on Friday. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

 

Damon Albarn has used his platform to speak out about the EU referendum result, declaring to spectators at Glastonbury Festival that “democracy has failed us, because we were ill-informed”.

 

It was announced (Friday, June 24) that a 51.9% majority of British people have voted to leave the European Union, leaving the 48.1% of Remain voters in a state of shock and disappointment. Among the latter, Albarn opened the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury this morning with The Orchestra of Syrian Musicians. The Blur frontman delivered the short speech as an introduction to the set and rounded it off with:

 

“I just want all of you to know, that when we leave here, we can change that decision. It is possible” .

 

The crowd responded warmly, proving that even when we are at our most divided, there is always something there to unify us and give us hope. In this case, the power of music goes a long way.

 

#Peace.Love.DamonAlbarn

Share Button

Have your say....

comments