John Carpenter Says New ‘Halloween’ Will Be A Direct Sequel To The First | Film News
David Gordon Green and Danny McBride‘s upcoming Halloween film will not be exactly the remake/reboot we were expecting. Original director John Carpenter, who is a consultant on the new film and also writing the score, explained to StereoGum that the upcoming film will actually be a direct sequel to the first film.
Yes, the long horror tradition of ignoring previous sequels continues. Talking about getting former star Jamie Lee Curtis involved and whether he helped, Carpenter said:
“No. She talked to the director. Her part was written into the script and they had this idea — it’s kind of a…I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost an alternative reality. It picks up after the first one and it pretends that none of the other [sequels] were made. It’s gonna be fun. There’s a really talented director and it was well-written. I’m impressed”.
We somewhat expected this after hearing of the casting of Judy Greer as Laurie Strode’s daughter last week. Now, whether that means ignoring Halloween II and thus the family connection between Laurie and killer Michael Myers is up in the air. What it does mean, is that the new Halloween film should be full of surprises and free to go wherever it wants, story-wise.
The synopsis for the film hints that this is the final showdown between Laurie and Myers, teasing her final confrontation with “the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago”. Halloween arrives October 19, 2018.
Latest posts by Taylor Gladwin (see all)
- Aubrey Plaza & Brian Tyree Henry In Talks To Star In ‘Child’s Play’ Reboot | Film News - September 19, 2018
- Disney Launching Standalone Marvel Shows On Streaming Service | TV News - September 19, 2018
- Eddie Murphy In Talks To Star In ‘Grumpy Old Men’ Remake | Film News - September 19, 2018