Looks like the judge’s chairs will be turning for the last time, for the BBC have confirmed that the fifth series of the musically orientated show The Voice is to be the last broadcasted by the BBC; this announcement follows months of speculation regarding the show’s future. Actually, false alarm, as almost instantaneously after the announcement was published, rival broadcaster ITV purchased the show in a deal that is estimated to be worth £12 million a year.
BBC’s departure from The Voice seemed inevitable, since the acting director of BBC Television Mark Linsey revealed in a statement that the BBC and said that “the BBC is incredibly proud of The Voice, but the fifth series which starts in January will be our last. We always said we wouldn’t get into a bidding war or pay inflated prices to keep the show, and it’s testament to how the BBC has built the programme up – and established it into a mainstay of the Saturday night schedule – that another broadcaster has poached it”.
However, ITV’s new investment adds questioning over the future of The X Factor, as the broadcaster will now be responsible for TWO singing based shows. So far, it’s been a tough year for X Factor, largely due to accusations of the show being “fixed,” the new judging panel receiving mixed reviews and the drastic fall in ratings due to rival show Strictly Come Dancing. Are you team Voice or X Factor? The Voice returns in January 2016.