While we’re all excited after the excellent trailer for the new Halloween movie dropped last week, we could have been living in an alternate universe where we were looking forward to two upcoming films from the franchise. The idea for the new version of the slasher classic came from Danny McBride, Jeff Fradley and David Gordon Green, who all worked together on HBO’s Vice Principals.
They pitched the small-scale, new take on the film to Blumhouse, and the studio moved quickly to make their idea a reality. But speaking to EW, McBride says that the original plan was to make two Halloween movies back-to-back:
“We were going to shoot two of them back-to-back. Then we were like, Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This could come out, and everyone could hate us, and we’d never work again. So, let’s not have to sit around for a year while we wait for another movie to come out that we know people aren’t going to like.
So, we were like, Let’s learn from this, and see what works, and what doesn’t. But we definitely have an idea of where we would go [with] this branch of the story and hopefully we get a chance to do it”.
Waiting to see the reaction from a first film and learning from it before diving headfirst into a sequel is always a good idea, so it’s good news the group didn’t get ahead of themselves as McBride said. However it is good to know that they have sequel ideas in mind should they need them.
Judging by the enthusiastic reaction to the first trailer, and the excitement surrounding the return of Jamie Lee Curtis and the ignoring of the sequels, one thinks McBride and co. are going to need to put that sequel in motion quite soon.
Halloween opens in cinemas Friday, October 19.