‘Star Wars’ Awakens To A List Of Broken Records | Film News
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was expected to be a box office smash. The film with a $200 million budget is smashing all kinds of box office records. Disney paid $4 billion for the rights and the first test is going extremely well. The film has set a number of new records such as:
– Biggest domestic (US) debut with $238 million. Previously held by Jurassic World with $208.8 million.
– Second-biggest global debut with $517 million. But the Record holder remains Jurassic World with $524.9 million but Star Wars is yet to open in China.
– Biggest US Thursday preview gross with $57 million. Previous record holder: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 with $43.5 million.
– First film to post single-day gross over $100 million.
– Fastest film to $100 million and $200 million, again stealing two more records from Jurassic World.
– Biggest December debut which was previously The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with $84.6 million.
– Biggest opening weekend of all time in U.K., Russia, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Denmark, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, Ukraine, Iceland, Serbia and New Zealand.
– Biggest Imax debut with $48 million.
– Most pre-sales with over $100 million, previously held by The Dark Knight Rises with $25 million.
– Best opening for a Star Wars film overtaking Revenge of the Sith with $108.4 million.
– Numbers will continue to rise as people like myself will head for repeat viewings.
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Season Finale: Winds Of Winter | TV Review - June 27, 2016
- ‘Game Of Thrones’: The Best Episode Yet – Battle of The Bastards | TV Review - June 24, 2016
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Season 6 Episode 8: No One | TV Review - June 14, 2016